OKC Kiltie Band Archaeographic

Monday, March 30, 2009 | |

The Oklahoma Kiltie Band (1922-1990) was for years, an ambassador from Oklahoma City to the rest of the nation. This pipe and drum band of exactly 42 members played a variety of march and folk tunes.

The Kiltie Band was a crowd favorite and a staple at parades and events in Oklahoma and across the US.
This postcard/photo was taken in the 1950's. It is shot from east of the Civic Center on Hudson and 1st looking east.

In the background onthe left of the frame in the Oklahoma County Court House. On the right, not seen in the past image, is the Norrick Downtown Library.

As a note, it took me a long time to find this location even though I live right across the street. I wondered around in from of the Civic Center, which is actually the OKC Municipal Building now. I stepped up onto the first stair leading into the builfing and centered myself, held the camera up, took the shot and with very little effort, was able to line the two images up rather closely.

I have been trying to do some research on this "Kiltie Band" Not many records exist for it on the internet, so I guess I will have to get analog and search out some microfiche.

Any Ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

0 comments: