Maywood: Before and After

Monday, March 23, 2009 | |


(click image for full page view)

Backstory is important, especially when it comes to history. I have decided to post a before and after image of the Maywood Church to give an insight into the process. On the bottom right of the image is the original photograph I found in the Library of Congress photo archives. It is a wonderful resource for anyone who is interested in historical photographs and images.

After doing a bit of research into the location of the church, to my surprise finding that is was still there, I set out to photograph the location. Using the historical photo as a reference, I shot multiple images from approximately the same perspective as the original. As you can see on the above left portion of the image are the multiple images I later stitched together as a small panoramic image, which is at the top of the above image.

In order to learn more about the history of the Maywood Church, I performed a cursory search online, which led me to historical documents held at the Norrick Library. Spending just a few hours gathering this information provided me with a factual background, from which I could tell the story in concert with the photographs.

In the end the backstory of the Church, or the subject in any case, it what really makes the connection between the past and present so immediate through the images. I am working on several more images, all of which are in downtown Oklahoma City. I will post them as I go.

0 comments: